Thursday, November 6, 2008

Nicole Wray Vibe Interview

Image Hosting by Picoodle.com
Songstress Nicole Wray has been there done that. "There" being in music videos, "that" being a rising star in the music industry. In 1998, with the help of Missy Elliott, Wray carved a niche for herself as the premier teen diva, pre-Ashanti. But then, unexpected, Wray’s career went nowhere. Her album Make It Hot, even after going No. 2 on the Billboard R&B charts, quickly tanked and soon Wray’s buttery soprano was missing on her mentor’s hits as well.
Now, seven years later, the Wray has relocated from her Virginia home to New York, aligning herself with another urban music powerhouse named Damon Dash and his new venture. In a sit down with Vibe.com, Wray discusses how she went from singing at sold-out shows to singing for congregations, as well as the conversation she might have one day with her former mentor.It’s been over seven years since people last heard from you. Do you feel like you’ve been given a second chance?
I feel great being that I’ve been gone for a couple of years and I came to New York from Virginia. I’ve always been one of those hungry artists, grinding, and it paid off, because I was trying to get a deal after the whole Missy Elliott situation.
Explain what that was about. Most people remember you were the background vocalist on a couple of her hits, and you were one of the first artists to release an album (Make It Hot) under her Goldmind Record label. All that said, what happened?
We just parted ways.
Well, do you have any ill feelings towards her?
I actually talked to Missy recently. She called me out of the blue and asked me how I was doing. It was cool. We never talked about music. Some things are better left alone. If you’re doing good, leave it the way it is. She’s like my sister, she will always be that, but it’s just a conversation me and her have to have. We’ll have to get some drinks or get something to eat, have a one on one, and talk about what happened. That’s going to happen one day, but I don’t rush anything, I’m just going to be easy.
Don’t you find it ironic that she has a new show where she is picking one artist to groom and help blow up? I mean, that used to be you.
I think it’s good because nobody can ever come out and do what this woman has done. I’m glad to see her reinventing herself.
Well to the winner, whoever it may be, or to whomever else told you, "I have a shot to work with Missy Elliott," what would you say to them?
Do it. Holler at her. I caught my break with her and she believed in me. That girl is a beast, a professional. So please go with Missy, please. You need the help. Some of these artists think they’re doing it and they’re not really doing it and I learned a lot from her.
After your situation with Missy didn’t work out, what did you do? Where did you go? I went back to Virginia to my mom and her ex-husband. I was staying with them after the whole deal fell through. I didn’t have any money.Was that a difficult adjustment for you? What was your relationship with your parents like? Me and my mom’s ex-husband didn’t get along. He didn’t like me; he didn’t like the relationship I had with my mother. He said he had cursed my career and said that I wasn’t going to go anywhere.What about your friends and people you grew up with? People in the street were saying, ‘Nicole ain’t going to do this, Nicole ain’t going to do that.’
So when no one believed in you and you were home in Virginia, what kept you positive?I joined the church and the choir. I was in Bible Study every Wednesday night. I had a raggedy BMW, it was an ’85 I think. But I was going to get where I wanted to go. If I didn’t have that, I’d go c-r-a-z-y. God is number one. If I didn’t go to church, I probably would’ve destroyed myself.Do you still go to church?I’ve been so busy, so that’s why I pray at home and read my Bible at home. I keep God close to me. Just because I can’t get to church doesn’t mean I can’t get to God.Well I know it’s probably difficult with your new deal on Roc-A-Fella Music team. How did this new deal come about?
I came to New York from Virginia with about 50 something songs I wrote. I met this young lady who was a friend of a friend and she knew one of the A&R’s at Roc-A-Fella. So, I went to the label with my backpack full of songs and played them for Lenny S, whose no longer there. At the time, Kenny Burns was doing the Roc Music division and he walked by the room and told me to play some music for him, so I came back two days later, sat down with him, and he came up with an idea. Right after that, we got into the studio with Dirt McGirt and did the "Welcome Home" record, which you know did pretty good. Then, right after that we started working on my project. They went and told Dame, this girl is amazing, she’s writing, she’s doing her thing.
And all that hard work is surfacing with your new music. We have your single "If I Was Your Girlfriend" and your new album coming out called Lovechild.When we recorded "If I was Your Girlfriend," it was in one night. Mula, an up-and-coming producer from the Roc family, threw on the record and I just came up with melody.And the whole album, how is that different from what you were doing with Missy in 1998?
Well, I still think if Make It Hot came out right now, it would still be hot. See, a lot of people are playing catch up to what Missy and Pharrell were doing then. They were way before their time. But on this album there’s a lot of soul, a lot of my life, things I’ve been through over the years, the growth from all the relationships I’ve been in over the years.What does the title mean?
I called it Lovechild because when I was back in Virginia, I had been through a lot, I had this career that was high, everyone knew who I was, I was on TV, and then one day it was just snatched from under me and I didn’t know why. But after a while I saw that everybody was still like in love with Nicole Wray. That’s when I started feeling good about me, and good about my music, so I entitled the album Lovechild.
Well your story is an unusual one because you’ve already had the album, the videos, and working with big names, and now here you are again with the same set of circumstances. For everyone who has accomplished those things, what advice would you give to maintaining it?
It’s a gift from God. It’s what I feel. I love music so I stay working. Even if I don’t ever come out, I still have to have music. I’m not going to work at Burger King or something like that. At the end of the day, I’m going to use my gift the best way I can.